Wednesday, January 7, 2009

MAN MEN, RICHARD YATES AND MY DEBUT IN KENTUCKY


....here is a piece i wrote for my good friend david daley, who is an editor at the Louisville paper and runs the cool fiction site "five chapters" ... he gave me chance to get into my love of overlooked aspects of the early postwar period... of course there is much else to say about those years. i wish i'd had room to get into the tradition of social criticism, on topics like alienation and "the cultural contradictions of capitalism" that were born in that period.

speaking of, i rec all serious readers check out rich perlstein's goldwater book, "before the storm," when it is reissued this spring. 

if any of you shared a prosecco with me one New Year's Eve you could see i was sporting what i call my "Mad Men tie." 

Photo credit: Flickr user 2

No comments: