Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Musicians vs. the Internet

THIS week has seen an exchange between young music fan Emily White and indie rocker David Lowery about how fans consume music these days, and where that leaves the artists. 


So far, the argument between the two has remained civil – and Lowery refuses to condescend to White or her generational peers in his piece -- but the nasty tone of the Web all but guarantees that things will get ugly.


HERE is my piece for Salon on the matter, which dovetails with my recent writing on the plight of the creative class.

1 comment:

Pete Bilderback said...

Scott, this is a really terrific, thoughtful piece. I have been meaning to post something about this topic for a while. I need to get off my butt and write down my thoughts before nobody is paying attention again.