Wednesday, January 7, 2009

FIRST POST: BACK FROM THE DEAD + NYT


Hi Gang, I'm glad to report that after a period of enforced silence I'm back with a few stories I'm proud of.

Here's the first, a New York Times piece on a 70s cult novel called "Ecotopia."

The novel is not as well written or nuanced as Ursula Le Guin's "The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia," which by coincidence i reread at about the same time (that is tough company)... but it's a "novel of ideas" that you can read on an airplane, and how many of those are there? my story concentrates on the way the book anticipated some of the environmental movement and the michael-pollan eat-local thing. "ecotopia" was green before green was cool, you could say.

This blog will keep interested readers up to date on my stories, which will be appearing in numerous places now, as well as various thoughts-of-the-day on interests such as wine, science-fiction, indie-rock and California weather. At least, I think so.

Cheers,

Scott

Photos courtesy Callenbach

No comments: